Saturday 28 October 2017

Dialogue and Hug

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aaron-courtney-randy-furniss-nazi-hug_us_59ea47b4e4b00f08619eb45f

Many people protested in Florida, America when a man who believes in racist ideas tried to make a public speech. This photo went viral after a racist supporter, wearing a shirt with swastikas, was surrounded by a protest against racism.

Many people were angry at the man wearing the shirt. The swastika symbol was used in World War Two by the Nazis and many people say swastikas and racism have no place in America today. The man was quickly surrounded and someone in the crowd punched him.

However, Aaron Courtney, a High School Football coach, tried a different approach. Aaron tried talking, and hugged the racist man.

"I had the opportunity to talk to someone who hates my guts and I wanted to know why. During our conversation I asked him, 'Why do you hate me? What is it about me? Is it my skin colour? My history? Is it my dreadlocks?'

At first the man ignored the questions. Aaron says, "Maybe he just needs love. Maybe he never met an African-American like this."

"I reached over and the third time he wrapped his arms around me and I heard God whisper in my ear, 'you changed his life.'

The man then finally answered, "I don't know."

What do you see in the picture?
What do you think is happening?

Explain the story

- Why do you think the man wore a shirt with swastikas drawn on it?
- What did the man learn when he was surrounded?
- Why did someone punch the man? Do you think that punch made him change his mind about racism?
- Why do you think Aaron hugged the man?
- What do you think the man thought when Aaron first hugged him?
- Why do you think the man didn't answer the questions?
- Why do you think the man hugged Aaron in the end?
- The man said he didn't know why he hated Aaron; what does this show about the racist ideas he holds?
- Why do some people have racist ideas? (because some people don't understand about diversity and about No Outsiders. Some people think we all should be the same  - the same skin or same religion. Some people are frightened of difference. It's the opposite to us; we know that difference is a good thing)
- Aaron says he thought he changed the mans' life. How do you think Aaron might have changed the mans' life?
- What does the protest show about lots of people in America today?
- What can we learn from Aaron?
-Why is this story about No Outsiders?

No Outsiders in our school: Teaching the equality act in primary schools by Andrew Moffat

Reclaiming radical ideas in schools: Preparing young children for life in modern Britain by Andrew Moffat 

equalitiesprimary




No comments:

Post a Comment