Monday 28 September 2020

lonely

 


https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/lonely-widower-poster-thousands-of-friends/

Tony Williams in 75 years old and lives in Alton, England. Last May, Tony’s wife Jo died. Tony has no family nearby and became very lonely. He says he sat at home willing the phone to ring, but it never did.

Tony put a sign in his window; “I have lost Jo, my lovely wife and soul mate. I have no friends or family, no one to talk to.. can no one help me?”

 

After a few weeks Tony started to get a few phone calls. Strangers – now people he calls friends – from all around the world and he has now been inundated with offers of friendship from America, Germany, Australis, Holland, India, Canada, Egypt and Japan. A woman invited him to Florida, USA, and said she would show him around. People have asked if their children can adopt him as a grandad.

 

Tony says the offers have brought tears to his eyes; “They’ve sent me pictures of their kids, their pets, told me about their aspirations and telling me they are thinking of me. I got an email from a local teacher asking of children in her class could write me letters… I would love that.”

-          What causes loneliness and what does it feel like?

-          Tony could have stayed in his house hoping someone would call. What did he do instead, why did he do that?

-          why do you think so many people contacted Tony?

-          Tony calls these stranger ‘friends’ now; how do you think they have they become friends?

-          Do you think Tony cares about the skin colour, the religion of people who contact him? Does he ask if they are gay or lesbian or if they have a disability? Why not?

-          People from all over the world have responded; what does this show us about people around the world?

-          why is this a story of hope?

      why is this about no outsiders?

-          What can we learn from Tony?




No comments:

Post a Comment