Wednesday, 12 August 2026

mop dance

 


What do you see in the picture, who is this, what are they holding, what do you think this story is about?

The picture shows CJ Miller, who lives in Livingstone, West Lothian in Scotland. CJ became famous during the Commonwealth Games over summer. 

What did CJ become famous for?

Many of the games were held in huge gymnasiums. Between games, the court needs to be cleaned, so cleaners came out with mops to clean the floor.
CJ came on to the floor with his mop and started to clean, but then something unexpected happened.

What happened next?

     

CJ started dancing with his mop. He performed a dance to "I want to break free" by Queen which included the splits and the worm.

How do you think CJ felt as he started to clean, knowing what he was about to do?
How do you think the crowd of sports fans reacted?

The crowd loved CJ's performance. CJ went viral and performed at lots of other matches during summer. He was featured on news programmes across the world.

CJ is actually a trained dancer and was employed by the Commonwealth Games to entertain the crowd in breaks. He thought he would be performing with a group of other dancers and it wasn't until the week before that he realised he was going to be performing on his own. 

Why do you think CJ pretended to be a cleaner?

CJ says he is shy in real life. "I am often anxious. It's been a lovely 50 minutes of fame. I wish I'd had a haircut before it happened."

If CJ feels anxious, why choose to be a dancer?

CJ says he felt very nervous about dancing in front of a sports crowd.

"Basketball for me was a scary one. I was like, 'I don't think the basketball crowd are going to want to see my flamboyant dancing. But I was wrong. The basketball crowd was incredible."

Why do you think CJ had that impression about sports fans?
What is this an example of?
What did CJ learn that day?

"It was a lesson for me to check my own prejudice. It doesn't excuse the point of view I had about sports fans and that has been changed now form the immense support I've received from the sports fans at the Commonwealth Games. Thank you for proving me wrong, sports fans."

What does CJ mean by prejudice?
Where does prejudice come from?

Many people messaged CJ after the games to thank him for making them smile. CJ says his message is, "Be messy. Don't be afraid to fail. Get your mop and dance!"

What does he mean by that? is he really talking about grabbing a mop or is the mop a metaphor?
What can we learn from CJ?
Why is this about No Outsiders?
Which British Value is this about?

Note: I have altered the language slightly in CJ's message; his actual wording was, "Be messy, fail, screw up. get your mop and shake your ass" I'm hoping CJ won't mind me making his words more assembly-friendly. 

Do you want this assembly as a power point with Oracy sentence stems? To join the free mailing list and receive these assemblies as power points every week, email me on a.moffat@excelsiormat.org

No comments:

Post a Comment