Tuesday 25 August 2020

circus performer

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-53199191/the-circus-performer-whose-prosthetics-changed-her-life

Erin Ball is a circus performer who had to have her legs amputated below the knee after an accident. Erin thought her career was over but instead she relearned how to perform.

Erin says, “The most freedom that I feel is when I take my heavy legs off and get up in the air.”

“I had a really really hard time wrapping my head around like, “I have no choice and these are my ankles now”

Kristina, an artist from the UK saw footage of Erin performing and contacted her to ask if she wanted to collaborate on a project where she would design prosthetic legs for Erin to use when she performed. Kristina then worked with Erin to design prosthetics for Erin. The second picture shows the prosthetics that Krsitina made.

There is a short video showing Erin talking about her prosthetics in the link

Erin says “I worked for a very long time to have a toe point. I worked very hard at it, I had a great toe point and then all of a sudden I didn’t. And to have that option is incredible and wonderful.

-        How does Erin use the different parts of her legs in her performances?

-        Why did the accident change everything? How do you think Erin felt?

-        Why didn’t Erin give up performing and do something else instead?

-        “The most freedom I feel is when I take my heavy legs off and get into the air” what does she mean? Why do you think getting into the air make her feel free?

-        “I had a really hard tome wrapping my head around – I have no choice and these are my ankles now” why was this so hard?

-        Why did Erin have to relearn how to perform?

-        How do you think Erin felt as she started to perform again?

-        Why did Kristina work with Erin to design the prosthetics, why didn’t she just make them on her own and give them to Erin as a surprise?

-        What can we learn from Erin?

Why is this about No Outsiders?

No comments:

Post a Comment