Sunday 18 June 2023

Lord Mayor

 


History has been made in Birmingham as the city has elected its first ever British-Indian Lord Mayor or the city. 

Chaman Lal, who is Sikh, was born in the Punjab in 1964 and came to Britain when he was 11 years old. When Chaman arrived in Birmingham aged 11, he did not speak a word of English but he says he was determined to discover and learn the language of his new country. He later studied economics and law and opened his own electronics business.

Chaman says he promises to be inclusive in his new role as Lord Mayor; "I want to be known, not as lord mayor of Birmingham, but as lord mayor for all the people of Birmingham."

"It is a very proud moment for me and our family, as the son of an army officer born in India, but made in Birmingham, I am an adopted Brummie and I never thought that one day I would become lord mayor of my adopted city."

In his speech, Chaman also thanked the inspirational women in his life; "As the saying goes, behind every successful man is a great woman, which happens to be true in my life, as I couldn't have made this achievement without the support of some very important women in my life."

- What is a lord mayor?
- Chaman came to England aged 11, what is the name for  a person who chooses to live in a different country from the one they were born in? (immigrant)
- What is a refugee? Was Chaman a refugee? What is the difference between a refugee and an immigrant?
- Chaman says he is an adopted Brummie; what does this mean? Encourage (without pointing anyone out) children to consider whether they can relate to Chaman in this way; have you travelled to live in a different town in your lifetime?
- "I never thought that one day I would become lord mayor of my adopted city." why not?
- Some people who don't understand about diversity and Britain in 2023, might say the position of  lord mayor of Birmingham should be given to someone who was born in Birmingham; how would you respond? 
- "I want to be known, not as lord mayor of Birmingham, but as lord mayor for all the people of Birmingham." what's the difference? What is Chaman saying here?
- "Behind every successful man is a great woman," is an interesting, old saying. Where do you think this originates, is it relevant in 2023? What is your response to this saying?
- What does this story show about Britain in 2023 and British values?
- What can we learn from Chaman Lal?
- Why is this about no outsiders?


www.no-outsiders.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment