Saturday 8 September 2018

Female Muslim boxer


Ramala Ali is the first British female Muslim boxing champion. She has won every boxing title there is to win in Britain and now wants to represent Somalia in the 2020 Olympics.

Ramala came to the UK from Somalia when she was a child. She started boxing as a teenager but she knew her parents would disapprove and so she didn't tell them about her passion. They found out when Ramla's brother saw her boxing in a match on television. Ramla's mother was very angry and told her to quit. Ramla says, "I've been so worried about what my family would think that I'd stop for a bit to make them happy. Then I'd go back when the bug would hit." Ramla says today she regrets the times she stopped.

Then Ramla was interviewed recently on Somali TV about her boxing and her uncle saw it. Ramla says, "He called me and told me how proud he was and how it broke his heart that I had to hide it so long. My Mum was worried about what her brothers might think but her family being OK with it made her much more OK with it and more supportive."

Ramla says after her last fight in Denmark, which she won, her Mum called her to say she was so happy; "I could never have pictured that we'd ever have a conversation like that."

Ramla talks about whether to represent GB or Somalia at the Olympics; "Some people have said, 'You're British.' I've lived here close enough to all my life and I love this country. But I was born in Somalia so for me to represent my homeland - it's something no one else has ever done... to wear Somalia kit just once would be amazing!" 

Ramla' is inspiring other athletes to follow their dreams.

- what do you see in the picture?
- how would you describe the boxers in the photo.

explain the story

- why is this story news? What's different about Ramla Ali?
- Why did Ramla feel she had to keep her sport hidden form her family?
- What was Ramla's Mum worried about?
- Ramla's Mum is proud of her daughter today - why do you think Mum changed her mind?
- What does this show us about people and ideas? (ideas can change and people can change)
- Why does Ramla want to box for Somalia in the Olympics rather than team GB?
- What does this show us about the UK today? (It shows us the UK is home to different people of different nationalities. We all have different identities but we can be proud of where we came from and and we all belong.)
- what can we learn from Ramla?
- Why is this story about No Outsiders?



No comments:

Post a Comment