Sunday 23 September 2018

Refugee mural


Majid Adin is an artist from Iran. He was forced to leave Iran in 2016 and became an refugee in the UK.

Majid has created a huge mural in London with the support of two charities to celebrate the kindness he received when he came to Britain.  He has been helped by local primary school children and local asylum seekers and refugees and says that he wants the art to bring people together.

Majid says, "Arriving and living in a new country with a different language and culture can be incredibly isolating. But ever since I arrived I have been shown great kindness and love. At first I struggled with my English but people were there to help me."

"I know some people in the UK are against refugees and we hear a lot about that in the news. But for me the British public have been incredibly welcoming."

"I wanted to work with Help Refugees (charity) to create a piece of art that represented the love that people have shown me throughout my journey."

"I want to bring together a community to celebrate our common humanity. To show people it doesn't matter what age, faith, sexuality or nationality you are, when we work together and show compassion and kindness toward each other we can do brilliant things."

What do you see in the picture?
What do you think the art is about?
Who do you think created it?

explain the story

- What is a refugee?
- How does someone become a refugee?
- How did Majid feel when he first came to the UK? What does isolating mean?
- Why do you think people helped Majid?
- What does this show us about many people in the UK today and their attitude toward people who are different?
- Why do you think Majid chose to create this art?
- Majid says he wants to bring together a community; how does this art help him to do that?
- Why does Majid say "it doesn't matter what age, faith, sexuality, nationality you are"?
- What do you think Majid would think about our No Outsiders ethos?
- What can we learn from Majid?
- what can we learn from the people Majid met when he first came to Britain?
- Why is this story about No Outsiders?





No comments:

Post a Comment