Saturday 16 October 2021

racism challenged (KS2-KS3)

 


A dad has spoken about having racist, homophobic and sexist attitudes in the past and how he changed his ideas. Neil says he used to use racist words in conversation and, "wasn't a very nice person." He says he's not ashamed to admit it but he is ashamed of what he was; "it's who I was and it's not who I am anymore."

Neil has a daughter, Millie, and he says it is because he wanted to be a good role model for her that he changed. Millie says Dad used to say she wasn't allowed to have a black boyfriend and that when they walked past 'Big Issue' sellers, dad would tell her to only buy from English people. Neil says, "I learned from Millie that what I was was unacceptable."

You can watch an honest interview with Neil in the link above.

When asked why he thought it was ok to use racist language in the past, Neil says it was learned behaviour. he talks about not knowing any black families when he was growing up so when he moved to a bigger, more diverse city, "it was a shock to the system, I didn't know how to deal with it. So I just followed what everybody else was doing."

Neil talks about going to football matches and going along with the racist and homophobic chants because it was normalised; "Everybody else is doing it so that's great, I'm joining in same as everybody else." He says "Looking back now, that's not the person I am now."

Millie says, "It's nice to know that he can change and that other people can change as well."

Neil says, "If I can, anybody can. I'm not just not racist, I'm anti-racist... I've got a lot of respect to Millie because she stood up to me and showed me what I was."

- what is racism, sexism, homophobia?
- where does racism, sexism, homophobia come from?
- Neil says his racism was learned behaviour, what does that mean?
- Neil says he didn't know any black families when he was growing up and that's why he learned racist attitudes. What is your response to that?
- "It was normalised -  just followed what everyone else was doing." why did Neil do that?
- why do you think some people at football matches use racist/ homophobic chants? "Everybody else is doing it so that's great, I'm joining in same as everybody else." What can be done about this?
- Neil says Millie started to look at him in disgust and stood up to him, how did that affect him?
- "I'm not just not racist, I'm anti-racist." What does this mean? What is the difference?
- "Looking back now, that's not the person I am now." Can people with racist ideas change?
- what can we learn from Millie?
- what can we learn from Neil?
- why is this about No Outsiders? 


www.no-outsiders.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment